Finding Zen When Tangled: Zentangle

Last September, I attended a Zentangle class that was offered through the local library. It was one of those things I had heard of but didn't really know what it was. Searching for it online brought up hundreds of different patterns and awe-inspiring artworks. Of course I wanted to be able to do that!
My first Zentangle
Aside from that class, that is all I ever did with it. I didn't go on to decorate the borders of my journal pages with ornate looking patterns like I thought I would. I did enjoy the class and the rules or process of Zentangle and Zentangle inspired art stuck with me, because one year later, I started tangling again to help break up the slowness of the workday.

My growing collection of ZIAs
 My first couple tries were more doodles than tangles. I vaguely remembered the patterns I had learned last year but wasn't focusing and would screw up the patterns part way through (hate it when that happens). That's the main thing about the art form that differentiates it from others -- if you're focusing on creating the pattern, it takes your mind off all the troubles in the world, and you create something beautiful in the process. Hence why it's promoted as a stress reliever and confidence booster.

I just really, really wanted something to do that wasn't staring at my computer screen. I played around with different "made-up" patterns and the colored pens I had at my disposal (black, red, and blue) to create Zentangle inspired art on my never-ending supply of Post-It notes.
My personal favorites. Both ZIA.
Yesterday, I caved and looked up legit Zentangle patterns. Using a thin-point Sharpie, I drew the last two (yesterday and today). I'm really happy with today's work.

9/28/17 and 9/29/17
Maybe, just maybe, my journal boarders will start filling up with these lovely patterns.

That is, if I can get back into the habit of journaling again.

~**~

For more on Zentangle, you can visit their website: Zentangle.com
(Because they're a hell of a lot better at explaining it than I am!)

Comments

Popular Posts