New Year's Resolutions

I can't even remember the last time I made a New Year's resolution. I think it might have been during freshmen year in college when I resolved to go to the gym every Sunday morning. Not because I wanted to lose weight. I thought it would be a good idea to get out and do some basic strength training. I kept it up for a couple of weeks but it kind of petered out in the end just like a lot of the resolutions made around this time. It is kind of sad now that I think about it because the dorm was just around the block from the gym and as a student, I have a free (read as "included in the tuition") membership. I've now decided that I need some goals to work towards this year and these will be my New Year's resolutions.

 Champagne showers? No, this was taken July 4th, 2011


Go to the Gym
I don't even know why I'm putting this down as a New Year's resolution but there are a lot of benefits to working out, not just for weight loss purposes, but as a mood booster and stress reducer. Now that marching band season is over, I need to find a new source of cardio anyway.

Stop Procrastinating
This should probably be read more as "do things two days ahead of time instead of one". Before every semester (especially before the Fall), I vow to stay on top of things. I recall doing this really well first semester junior year until I got hit by three exams in one week, then that promise quickly went to pot. Since I'll be juggling two labs, a writing class, and freelancing, I should probably make good on this goal with all the lab reports and papers that are in store for me.

Score Well On the (New) GRE
Since graduate school might be in the cards, there's no way of getting out of taking the GRE. Mind you, I haven't taken a standardized test since the ACT (UIUC didn't require the SAT). First things first though. I have to start studying for the GRE. Luckily there's some practice stuff on the GRE's website.

Get a Job
Part-time, full-time, whichever. Part-time would be preferred if grad school pans out, then I could work and school at the same time. A full time job might rule out the traditional sit-in-class grad school but there are always online degrees, although they tend to be mainly business and administration degrees.

Figure Out What Graduate Degree to Pursue
In my opinion, grad school is useless if one doesn't know what degree to pursue. If you don't know what you want to do, then you probably won't have that drive to pursue it. The grad students I have spoken too said that you have to want to go to grad school in order to do well. If I go after a chemistry masters, I would need to narrow down the field and focus on some aspect of it. There is also the English option, something like technical writing. I have the science background which would be perfect for a technical writing career. Then again, I could get a masters in chemistry and a certificate in technical writing instead. So many choices!

Sew a Dress
Because I need a positive and easy-to-achieve New Year's resolution.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts